If you’re looking for a holiday with lots of sun, sea and sand, Florida is the perfect destination. With more than 1,100 miles of beaches along its sultry coasts, Florida has something for everyone. But which are the best Florida beaches and what can you expect to find there?
Here are ten best beach picks:
1. Panama City Beach, also known as PCB, is consistently listed among the best Florida beaches, featuring shimmering white quartz sand, which is beautiful to look at and soft enough for children to play in. More than 25 miles in length, it borders on the Gulf of Mexico, ensuring warm, clear water for swimming.
2. Daytona Beach, as seen on MTV, has hard packed sand, which is great for sports and dancing. A former racing venue, much of it is still accessible to cars. Daytona Beach is a popular location for bodysurfing and is an excellent place to swim. Its gently sloping shoreline means you are less likely to unexpectedly find yourself out of your depth.
3. St Joseph Peninsula offers a beautiful, sugary white beach with all the benefits of a National Park. Its tall dunes offer beautiful views out across St Joseph Bay. This is a popular location for fans of canoeing and kayaking, and fishing is available just offshore. St Joseph is often rated among the top 10 Florida beaches for those who enjoy activity vacations.
4. Cocoa Beach is positioned just minutes away from the Kennedy Space Center, so if you time your trip right, you can lie back on the soft sand and watch a shuttle take off. Cocoa Beach is a great place for surfing and there is always a party atmosphere around the pier.
5. South Beach is popular with international celebrities and those looking forward to luxury holidays where they can be seen by the right people. South Beach bars and restaurants are priced accordingly, but his is a great place to hang out if you enjoy looking chic.
6. Clearwater Beach is always bustling with activity. With artistic and cultural activities to enjoy, it also features free concerts at night down by Pier 60. And children will enjoy visiting the nearby aquarium. Kids often declare this to be one of the best Florida beaches.
7. Fort Walton Beach is a great place to go to relax, especially for families, with plenty of space for kids to play and lifeguards to watch out for them. Dolphins play in the bay just offshore and you can take a boat ride if you want to go and meet them.
8. Captiva Beach, out on Captiva Island, is a popular destination for young couples as well as for older holidaymakers. Its miles of glittering sand are laced with exotic shells. Captiva Beach is situated near the Bahia Honda Channel, with its stunning reefs, which makes it a great place to go snorkeling.
9. Fort Lauderdale offers 23 miles of stunning beaches between its wayward waterways and the open sea. Here you can watch manatees at play or simply walk out into the water to explore the reef. Often listed among the top 10 Florida beaches, its enduring popularity is a testament to its ability to charm visitors from all different backgrounds.
10. Sanibel Island Beach is undoubtedly one of the best Florida beaches, and also one of the state’s best-kept secrets. Though it’s a popular location for marriages, it’s still largely undiscovered, and its quiet atmosphere attracts wildlife such as sea turtles. It’s a great place to find shells and is popular with windsurfers.